Thursday, December 2, 2010

"You're Ugly, Too"

This story seems to just be one big characterization. I have gone back and forth between how I feel about Zoe, but in the end, I believe I overall feel somewhat sorry for her. She seems very depressed throughout the story about not being married. "'I'm not married? Oh, my God,' said Zoe. 'I forgot to get married,'" (355). Her sarcasm seems to be a cover for her sadness over not having a husband in her life. When Evan tells her that she is getting married, Zoe is unresponsive out of her sadness over not being married or engaged herself.
"'I was hoping you'd be my maid of honor,' said Evan, waiting. 'Aren't you happy for me?'
'Yes,' said Zoe, and she began to tell Evan a story..." (362).
She quickly changed the subject to avoid the conversation and bury her feelings. Even though I do feel sympathy for Zoe, I think she needs to be mature enough to be an adult and handle things differently. Being bitter does nothing to help the situation, and she was honestly just making it far worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment