Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Glass Menagerie - Reflective Response

After thinking about this story, I decided I do not really care much for Tom. As stated in my previous post, I think the whole play just seems like a sad excuse for how he ended up exactly like his own father. Unless my interpretations about this play are completely wrong, I think he is honestly just a jerk. Obviously I can understand why he would be sick and tired of working to support his family, but I think he makes things out to be far worse in the play than they actually were. He makes himself out to be so much better than the rest of his family. He only discussed the flaws of others to try to make the audience sympathize with him. This was not exactly reality. Through his portrayal he tries to justify his father's actions along with his own to make himself out to be rising above his hardships, when in reality I think he may have just been running from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment