Friday, July 9, 2010

20. Epigraph

In The Sun Also Rises, Hemingway begins his novel with two epigraphs, one spoken by Gertrude Stein: "You are all a lost generation." When I began reading this novel, I was not exactly sure what this epigraph was supposed to reveal to me about the novel or the theme. But while reflecting on the book as a whole, I cannot think of a more appropriate quotation to describe the theme and the characters in the novel. The values and morals of the characters in The Sun Also Rises completely diminished after the conclusion of World War I. They chose to partake in excessive drinking, partying, and sexual escapades, all to escape the scarring memories of the war. Throughout the book itself, even Hemingway avoids describing any part of the war in depth. The original attitudes, morals, and ways of life of the prewar world were completely "lost," which this book makes very clear. Throughout my reading I always created new ideas of how the book would end. Ideally I believed that Jake and Brett would change their ways and finally be in a relationship together. But I was very mistaken. Nothing really changes much throughout this novel. All the characters remain "lost" and going nowhere in the world. Unfortunately that must have been true of many veterans of that time. I was disappointed in the ending, but Hemingway ended it in probably what was the most realistic way.

1 comment: