Tuesday, July 6, 2010

8. Anaphora

In Chapter 8 on page 79, I discovered anaphora in Bill's conversation with Jake at the bar. It most of his statements he used the word daunted. "Ought not to daunt you. Never been daunted. Secret of my success. Never been daunted. Never been daunted in public... if I feel daunted I'll go off by myself." He continues to use this word as he drinks and talks with Jake. I am a little confused as to why this word holds so much significance in this passage. Daunted means to be discouraged. It seems to me that maybe the reason he keeps saying this word is because he is trying to convince himself to not be discouraged. But for what reason? It is not completely clear to me what this passage means. If anyone has ideas I'd like to hear them! :)

1 comment:

  1. I thought it had the opposite effect, that the repetition suggested how low he was feeling

    ReplyDelete