Tuesday, July 6, 2010

5. Motif

The more I read this book, the more I am beginning to pick up on the characters' tendencies. A lack of communication seems to be present throughout the entire book. While reading Chapter 5, for example, Jake does not ever seem to be completely honest with others about his feelings. During his lunch with Cohn, Jake insulted Lady Brett Ashley which angered Cohn enough to attempt to leave. Jacob did not want him to leave so he apologized for his previous comments on page 47. "I'm sorry. I've got a nasty tongue. I never mean it when I say nasty things." Cohn sat back down and stated, "I know it. You're really about the best friend I have, Jake."
Jake was not really sorry for his comments, rather he was sorry for angering Cohn in the middle of a lunch. He seems to keep people from getting to know his true thoughts and feelings for some reason. Letting people in does not seem to be very high on Jacob Barnes' to-do list. I also find it interesting that Robert calls Jake his best friend, when in reality he knows nothing of his true thoughts and feelings. He buys into whatever Jake tells him.
I believe another motif is the constant drinking. Every chapter contains at least one paragraph mentioning the bar/cafe where they ate lunch or stopped by on their way home from work. These two motifs tie into each other I believe. All the characters seem to detach themselves from something, whether it be through a drink or through avoiding conflict with others.

1 comment: