Sunday, August 8, 2010

13. Finding Solace

"...it occurred to me that the act of writing had led me through a swirl of memories that might otherwise have ended in paralysis or worse. By telling stories, you objectify your own experience. You separate it from yourself," (152). I find this statement from O'Brien to be a pretty universal idea in some ways. With anyone who goes through a traumatic experience, they either learn to cope with it, or they never find a way to escape it. O'Brien found solace in his writing, so he was able to move on, start a family, and live his life to the fullest. Norman Bowker found no means of peace, therefore he ended up committing suicide because he just could not find a way to handle everything that had happened. I really liked this statement because I found it so easy to relate to. With certain experiences in my own life, I've seen both sides. Those who find ways to cope and deal with things and move on the best they can, like myself, and those who just cannot find a way out of their thoughts and the traumatic things that have happened like some family members of mine. Its very important to find your source of solace and be at peace with your life. If you never find that peace, then life just is not what it is supposed to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment