Sunday, August 8, 2010

18. A Last Resort

"Night Life" was mainly about the story of how Rat Kiley got sent to Japan. First of all, I really do not understand the order O'Brien places his chapters in sometimes. I would think he would talk about Kiley's departure before he talked about the arrival of the new medic Jorgenson. I don't really see what difference he is making by mixing up the order of things. But more importantly, I found this section more interesting because it was interesting to see the progression up to Kiley's breakdown. "He took off his boots and socks, laid out his medical kit, doped himself up, and put a round through his foot," (212). I really don't blame Kiley whatsoever. Honestly if I had to do what those men did, I would probably shoot my own foot too if that meant I could get out of it. I think it'd be worth it. I for sure could not handle the "night life".

1 comment: