Sunday, August 8, 2010

5. Random Stories

In sections 5 and 6, O'Brien tells the story of Jensen and Strunk. I don't understand why O'Brien adds this story in here. It seems really random and I don't see O'Brien's purpose behind it. After his recollection of the fight, O'Brien writes, "In any other circumstance it might've ended there. But this was Vietnam..." (59). I guess he was just trying to show the reader what the war did to some individuals' mental states? I just feel like these ideas are evident throughout his writing and he has no need to tell these stories randomly about others in between the chapters he writes about his personal life. He frequently goes back and forth throughout the book. I feel as if this novel was mainly written for his own benefit rather than making a point to others, as maybe it served as an easier way to talk through all his repressed memories. The little sections are so randomized and his thoughts seem very scattered. But maybe he just does this on purpose to show more negative and lasting effects of serving in the war.

2 comments:

  1. I'm gonna have to agree here. Although I actually like this book, the random stories and aimless storyline is getting a tad old. I can't figure out if he's actually telling a story or if it's just a giant book of many stories he wants written down. Maybe there isn't a plot after all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it certainly is a unique structure...there's gotta be a purpose to it, right?

    ReplyDelete