Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Dynamic Character in "Everyday Use"

The mother in "Everyday Use" was a very hard worker and did much for Dee to give her an education and hopefully help her find what she wanted. She was consistently ungrateful and displeased with her life despite her mother's hard work. Resulting from her disrespect, she pushes her mother around. The mom is the dynamic character when she finally stands up to Dee for Maggie and her own beliefs. When Dee tries to take the quilts, she tells her that she promised Maggie she could have them one day, and she did not back down. "God knows I've been saving 'em for long enough with nobody using 'em. I hope she will!" (182). This shift shows the mother finally being fed up with Dee. By standing up for Maggie, she let her daughter know that she cared. "I did something I had never done before: hugged Maggie to me... Maggie smiled... a real smile, not scared," (181).

2 comments: