Wednesday, November 3, 2010

First Person Point of View in "How I Met My Husband"

"How I Met My Husband" is narrated in first person point of view by the character Edie. Through Edie's narration of the story, situational irony is created, discussed in my previous blog entry. If this story was told in third person, we would soon realize Chris' motives in life as a "player." We also would be aware of the mail carrier's thoughts as he got to know Edie. This would cause the reader to make inferences and realize that Chris would not ever write to Edie. "I'm going to write you a letter. I'll tell you where I am and maybe you can come see me..." (142). As Chris stated this, we would have been aware of his actual thoughts and know that he had no interest in a relationship with Edie.

The reader would also assume that Edie and the mailman would develop a relationship over time. I believe Edie would also be viewed far greater as a young naive girl had we known Chris's history. We would see her falling for the wrong guy instead of finding her husband, which would greatly change a reader's perception of Edie.

No comments:

Post a Comment