Sunday, November 21, 2010

Sympathy for Miss Brill

"Miss Brill" was a very sad short story in my opinion. I really much sympathy for Brill's character throughout the entire story. Her only excitement in life was each Sunday when she got to wear her fur and purchasing her "Sunday treat" of honeycake. "If there was an almond it was like carrying home a tiny present..." (186). I find it very sad that these were the only things in her day that kept her going, kept her happy with life. At the end when she is made fun of, she goes home and cries while putting her fur away. This is when my heart reached out to her character the most. She had no one and nothing but her fur and Sunday routine. And now even that has been put to rest. I believe most of my sympathy came from personally knowing older women who, like Miss Brill, do not really have anyone or anything of significance to look forward to. If any of the individuals I know that are similar to Miss Brill overheard someone making fun of them, they would be crushed and would have a hard time ever fully recovering from what was said.

No comments:

Post a Comment