Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Situational Irony in "How I Met My Husband"

Situational irony occurs in the last paragraph of "How I Met My Husband." Edie spends the majority of the story talking about Chris the pilot, and the reader assumes that she will be with him in the end. However, this was not the case. While waiting for a letter from Chris each day, Edie waits for the mail carrier and he believes she likes him. "He said he missed me...I went out with him for two years and he asked me to marry him..." (146). I was surprised at this ending, as the whole story was built on Edie's encounter with Chris. I feel that situational irony at the end of stories always adds something to the story as a whole. It gives it a more meaningful message that one should expect the unexpected.

No comments:

Post a Comment